Friday, August 13, 2010

Practice - August 12, 2010

It's been a few weeks since I've remembered to write, but things have been going okay. Endurance and agility practices... Weaving in and out of cones, skating till your legs get wobbly, fall drills, stopping drills, etc etc... I had to miss a practice last week, and of course it was the first newbie contact practice (learning how to hit!!) I hope we do another one soon so I can try it!! :)

So, last night's practice was overall a disaster for me. I was disheartened, frustrated, angry with myself, angry about the slippery floor, angry at my weak back and lack of coordination.... Gah!!

We started out by doing suicide drills of falls, and I just couldn't seem to stop slipping clumsily all over the place. I couldn't get one transition (to turn around)... I'd try to t-stop and just keep going full speed. I was a frustrated mess. (Thank you to Tank'd Girl for spending some time with me on transitions... Like you said, I wish my body would cooperate with what my mind wants it to do!!)

We did "shopping cart drills" where you push your partner around the track and then switch places. Easy enough? Not when my lower back almost sent me to tears, and my legs were giving out. I kept looking around and nobody seemed to be struggling as hard as I was. I felt bad for my skater sister who got stuck with someone so clumsy and weak... Thanks to Bam for encouraging me anyway!

How can I strengthen my back? I had to drop out of a pace line - hip whip drill... I got knocked out of line near the end and I couldn't physically catch up. My back felt broken. I just don't get what I'm doing wrong... I never want to quit a drill, but that was the end for me. And where is the line between pushing yourself and taking a break so you don't injure yourself? I am having so much trouble figuring this all out.

Pyramid drills again last night too. That's where you skate laps in a group from 1 up to 5, and do exercises in between while the second group does their laps. Last time we did this drill, I admit I couldn't even complete it. I had to fake my way to the end because my entire group was done and I was still one and a half laps behind. It was so embarrassing, and I felt like I was holding everyone up.

This time, I deliberately focused on going as fast as I could. I did crossovers, and really concentrated on getting it right. Unfortunately, I was still last every time. I would take a turn and my wheels would slip out from under me. I would be going as fast as I possibly could and still be last. Will I ever get faster? At one point during a lap I felt myself questioning what I was doing there... I have never been an athlete... Maybe I'm not really cut out for this, and how could I ever make it onto a team???

Oh well, I kept going. And although I was last, I did complete every lap asked of me.... For which I felt proud and surprised that I had seen an improvement over the last time. Go me?

Thank you to everyone who was so encouraging to me last night, especially Sin D. and my fellow fresh-meats. I know I was pretty angry and frustrated but I took every word you said to heart and I love
skating with all of you! (even if I'm last.)

You know what's weird? As pissed off as I was, about twenty minutes after taking my skates off, I wanted nothing more than to put them back on and skate again!! Addicted? Hell yes :) I love roller skating!! See you at the next practice......


xoxo

5 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel, but don't get discouraged. I had a long heart to heart with one (or two)of our veteran skaters and they assured me that everyone feels the way you do when they are starting out. Just the fact that you were able to finish the pyramid drills should prove that you are making an improvement. Rome wasn't built in a day and your endurance takes time to build as well. I have been skating for over two months now, and there are days when I just can't keep up and my legs are still dying. Hang in there! Take it one day at a time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I distinctly remember you in front of me for at least a few of the pyramid sets, so you couldn't have come in last EVERY time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your words of encouragement! I won't give up, it just gets frustrating when I feel like I'm the only one struggling. It's good to know I'm not the only one! I realize it will take time, I just want to succeed so badly I guess :)

    KL - I remember those pyramids the opposite way! I can picture you right in front of me the whole time. I do remember one lap where we were tied ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't ever think for even a MOMENT that other people aren't struggling too! I paired up with Tank one night on the shopping cart drill, and she pushed so fast, I felt like I had to keep up, and I thought I was going to cry. Trust me, we all feel like that some nights!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Slick :) tough to keep in mind sometimes. I really can't wait for practices to start up again, as frustrating as they can be :)

    ReplyDelete