Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Practice and Level 1 Assessments - August 31, 2010

Assessment night.... The test all fresh meat look forward to and dread at the same time! They tell you it's no big deal and don't be nervous, but I definetly started freaking out before I even got there. I know I wasn't the only one!

All of the newbies were the first ones to arrive at the rink... We were all anxious and first we had to deal with an endurance practice for about an hour!

Pulling and pushing pace lines of 4-5 people, sprinting, then keep it going the opposite direction. Speaking for myself, I was totally worn out at the end of this and figured there'd be no way I'd be able to do a fall for the test and get back up..... (within the allotted two seconds!)

drawing by me, K.Rowe

Assessments started. We lined up. You could feel the tension as we all pretended we weren't nervous, but it showed in our performances.... No hiding that! Simple things that I know everyone could do, just became the hardest things! T-stops, toe stops, falls.... Eventually, everyone got through it.

We did balancing on one leg while skating, and a bazillion crossovers...

Finally, we were finished. Luckily, Bettie and Empress were able to give us a pass/no pass right then and there. I couldn't imagine having to wait days for an email!! We all got personal feedback... Some of us passed and some of us have a couple things to hone before moving to level 1..

I have to say that I have never seen a group of ladies work so hard. All of us wanted it so badly! I am so so so proud of all of my fellow newbies, and if you didn't pass tonight, I know you will in a few days or weeks!! You are all amazing and I truly mean that. If you didn't pass, don't give up because you WILL BE PASSING SOON!!

I am proud of Dixie for having never skated before a few months ago, and she is not afraid to get right in there and do her best! I am proud of Lacey for figuring out crossovers on the spot! I am proud of Amiee for sticking with it even though she didn't feel well! You amaze me! I am proud of Kara for making a big comeback! I am proud of Bug for never giving up!

I can't believe that I passed!!!! I didn't feel like I was doing too poorly at anything, but that's what surprised me I guess! I was actually doing it. I was falling, crossing, balancing, stopping... I never pictured myself doing anything like this. But now I can't think of anything I'd rather do!!

To those I didnt mention here, I am tuly proud of all of you too!! I am SO happy to be skating with all of you, and SO happy to be a part of this derby family... Roller derby really IS saving my soul. :)

So, now it's on to hitting...... oh boy..... ;)












1 comment:

  1. That's freakin awesome! Way to go!!! I can't wait to be able to say those same words. Time and patience :)

    ReplyDelete